Wednesday, October 14, 2015

The 50 Shades of Grey Debate

I am a bit behind the curve on this one but I felt I needed to weigh in. The book and subsequent film "50 Shades of Grey" sparked a lot of feelings among not just the reading community but also the public at large ( yes I separate them). People who never read it felt the need to judge it based on information they received from people who had (bad idea).
As someone who only read half of it I can only weigh in on what I read. It wasn't for me and I didn't wish to finish it. Many were appalled at the way the relationship between the two main characters especially in the way their sexual relationship went down. Wither or not I agree with the female characters choices to be in or stay in that relationship is not important ( I don't). The fact is it is a fictional story made for entertainment. I think we put a lot of emphasis on fictional things affecting reality. Books are designed to help the reader escape and if reading about a women being apparently happy in an abusive relationship does that then I say go for it. People love the Hunger Games novels and they are about children being forced to kill one another for entertainment. That's some pretty dark stuff that has been labeled as "young adult" fiction.

Everything is subjective, a healthy debate is one thing, telling people they are wrong for enjoying a book or film is wrong.

Ana

No comments:

Post a Comment

October Debate: Hulu Vs. Netflix

Which is better? Netflix or Hulu! Check out the video and let me know your thoughts :)