Friday, May 6, 2016

Indie Film Friday: Fantastic Lies

Fantastic Lies

Directed by: Marina Zenovich


The Breakdown: This documentary tells the story of the 2006 Duke Lacrosse team sexual assault case.

My Review:
The 30 for 30 series by ESPN has never failed to bring us an amazing documentary and this one is my opinion is the best of the series...that I have seen. I have a degree in Criminology and was fresh out of College when this scandal broke. I can remember hearing about the Duke players being accused and I remember the media sensation but I couldn't for the life of me remember the outcome of the trial. I think that speaks volumes for our media coverage and the reaction of the public. We love to make villains out of people that we see as privileged and assume they must have done wrong because they are rich. Watching this I was disgusted as to how this case was handled and how irresponsible the media was in reporting it. I think one of the players said it best and I am paraphrasing here: "It is scary to think that we had the financial resources to fight a corrupt system to clear our name and there are so many who don't. How would this same situation have ended for them?" It is a scary thought and one that does in fact happen. This film is a wake-up call that there has to be better oversight into investigations and how they and trial are conducted. It is an extremely well put together film that I think is really worth watching for everyone.

Rating: 5 Glasses

No comments:

Post a Comment

October Debate: Hulu Vs. Netflix

Which is better? Netflix or Hulu! Check out the video and let me know your thoughts :)